CGOA Wants You to Teach Online!
Beginning January 2021, the Crochet Guild of America (CGOA) will launch a year-round online education program. Founded in 1994, CGOA provides education and networking opportunities, and sets a national standard for the quality, art and skill of crochet. We seek a diverse group of instructors ready to teach a range of live, virtual classes geared to the enthusiastic emerging crocheter, the experienced master crocheter and every crocheter in between. CGOA wants knowledgeable teachers who will help students reach their creative goals.
Quarterly, beginning October 2020, the Online Education Committee will accept class proposals. We plan to offer our first online class in January 2021. Each proposal will be evaluated, ranked and discussed by the committee. We seek instructors who are comfortable using Zoom video software. We’d like a balance between technique and project classes. In every case, we expect that a typical 2- or 3-hour face-to-face class will be divided into two or three sessions with homework/skill building/project progress between each session.
Tips for your Proposals
- The class description you submit with your application should be thorough and engaging. Keep in mind, your class description will be used to advertise and sell the class!
- Your proposal should include at least two options for when you might teach the class. Keep in mind that your students will come from a variety of time zones and with a variety of work and family commitments.
- To maximize your class time, consider homework as a teaching tool. Whether assigned before the first session or between sessions, homework can help set class expectations and maximize instructional time with your students.
- Please include information about you as a fiber artist, such as the number of years you’ve been crocheting and teaching.
- Pictures are a plus! And, good ones will help us sell your class! Remember you’re introducing yourself to a new audience. Compelling photos help tell your story as a teacher and as a fiber artist.
The Fine Print
CGOA compensates online instructors at a rate of $100 per hour for each hour of class time. Every CGOA class must have a minimum of ten students registered at least 15 days in advance of the first scheduled meeting. Otherwise, the class will be canceled.